Usually I'm not one to make a fussy dressing. Quite honestly a simple garlicy red wine vinaigrette and am happy. The other night however I wanted to jazz it up and made a toasted cumin-coriander vinaigrette. Those aromatic spices paired so well with the chick peas and added a whole new dimension to the salad.
Chick Pea Salad
with Cumin Coriander Vinaigrette
Serves 2 as a meal
- For the salad
- 1 1/2 cups cooked chick peas
- 2 radishes, cut into slivers
- 1/4 onion, minced
- 1 celery stalk, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1 large bunch of mixed salad greens
- 1/4 cup toasted almonds, chopped
- For the dressing
- 1/2 teaspoon whole cumin seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon whole coriander seeds
- 2 Tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 3 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- In a small frying pan over medium heat, add the whole cumin and coriander seeds. Shake around the pan until they become fragrant and lightly toasted.
- Remove from heat and let the spices cool.
- In the meantime, chop all the vegetables. Toss them in a large bowl with the salad greens. Set aside.
- Using a mortar and pestle grind the toasted spices.
- Add the ground spices to a small bowl and pour in the vinegar. Season with salt and pepper.
- Whisk in the olive oil and continue whisking until the dressing is well combined.
- When ready to serve add the chick peas to the salad, pour in the dressing and toss.
- Sprinkle on toasted, chopped almonds and serve immediately.