A while back I asked the Local Food Rocks Facebook fans for what kind of recipe they would be interested in reading. The consensus was something vegetarian, in a slow cooker. How could I resist such a request?
This Slow Cooker Corn + Sweet Potato Chowder is for all the fans.
It's March, so (fingers crossed) Spring is on its way, but undoubtedly there will still be a few cold days where you'll be craving something warm and comforting. This soup will do the job.
I like to think of this recipe as a touch of New England with a hint of Tex-Mex thanks to a few chipotle peppers in adobo. This one-pot meal gives you sweet and spicy flavors in a light, yet creamy tasting soup.
Slow Cooker Corn + Sweet Potato Chowder
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 chipotle in adobo, minced
- 1 1/2 pounds of frozen corn
- 4 medium-sized sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 cups of unsweetened coconut milk
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Place all the ingredients up to the coconut milk into the slow cooker insert.
- Place on the cover. Cook on low for 6 1/2 hours.
- After 6 hours, stir in the coconut milk. Put the lid back on and let it finish cooking.
- Serve immediately.
- For the meat eaters out there: Top each serving with 1 strip of crumbled bacon.
Photos by Renato Ghio