That's the idea behind Degustabox, a food subscription box that launched in the US this June. I was lucky enough to try it out for free. Let's dive in!
Degustabox started out in Spain and, like I mentioned, just launched in the US. For $19.99 a month, you receive a box of about 10-15 surprise products. You never know what's going to come each month.
My first impression: They don't skimp. The box was a good size and surprisingly heavy. Everything inside was neatly packaged with plenty of bubble-wrap.
Here's what was included in the June shipment:
- 2 snack-sized packages Wise Sea Salt Popcorn
- 2 snack-sized packages Wise Cinnabon Popcorn
- 1 full-sized bottle Briannas Italian Viniagrette
- 3 mini-sized samples Vita Coco 100% Organic, Cold Pressed, Unrefined Coconut Oil
- 1 full-sized bottle Topo Chico Mineral Water
- 1 full-sized bottle Topo Chico Lime Flavored Mineral Water
- 1 regular-sized jar of Jif Cinnamon Peanut Butter Spread
- 1 snack-sized package Orchard Valley Harvest Cashew Halves + Pieces
- 1 snack-sized package Orchard Valley Harvest Cranberry Almond Cashew Trail Mix
- 1 regular-sized package Haribo Sour Gold-Bears
- 1 full-sized container Elmhurst Harvest Chocolate Almond Milk
- 1 full-sized bottle Soy Vay Teriyaki Sauce
- 1 regular-sized package Honees Cough Drops
- Plus, a few coupons and recipes
I don't encourage stress eating, but sometimes I just need a snack when I'm struggling with writer's block. It happens. So, yeah, I housed the Wise Sea Salt Popcorn.
The same goes for the Orchard Valley Trail Mix and Nuts. I was going to make something with them, but then just snacked on them as is. A nice "healthy fat" energy boost after a workout.
The Vita Coco Coconut Oil was totally up my alley, especially because it was 100% organic, cold pressed and unrefined. That's the good stuff. That's the stuff you want to have in the kitchen. Cook with it, put in a smoothie or even use it as a moisturizer.
I love bubble water! Topo Chico has a nice gentle fizz to it. The lime flavored one was flavored with actual lime. Delightful to sip on a hot summer day by themselves or splash into summertime cocktails for a touch of refreshing fizz. Stay tuned for a fun recipe!
I normally prefer unsweetened nut milk, because flavored ones tend to have a lot of added sugar. So while I wouldn't necessarily have the Elmhurst Harvest Chocolate Almond Milk every day because of that, I did like it. It was fun to put in a smoothie. Recipe coming soon!
I marinaded a few chicken breasts in the Soy Vay Teriyaki before tossing them onto the grill this weekend. The sauce has a nice flavor and wasn't too salty. I think it would also be great to add in a quick stir-fry.
Cheese, herbs and calamata olives give the Italian Vinaigrette from Briannas a nice flavor that can stand up to more than just leafy greens. It would be great in a pasta salad, a dip for crudite, or drizzled on an antipasto platter. It's important to keep in mind that pre-made salad dressings, even ones with good ingredients like this one, tend to have a lot of calories. Just don't go overboard.
I have yet to try the Honees Cough Drops. I put them in the allergy/cold remedy basket for use when we really need them.
Overall, I generally liked my box of surprises from Degustabox. I'd love to see more ingredient-conscious items or maybe down the road, they could offer a separate ingredient-conscious box option.
Do you subscribe to Degustabox or a similar service? What do you think of it?
Disclaimer: I was not compensated for this post. I received one month of Degustabox free of charge (approximately $20 value). The opinions contained herein are my own and reflect my experience with the products. Your own may differ.
Photos by Renato Ghio